Saturday, October 17, 2015

part 2 of " a peek into our journey"

During my teen years I so enjoyed going to mission conference. It was inspiring and captivating. Somewhere by stepping through that door you were taken from America,  to the middle of Africa, where all people ate was rice. And carried water on their heads. Where there were biggggg snakes and scary rituals and demon possessed people  but where God's power was so real that lives were changed in the name of Jesus.
They preached messages of how we need to give our lives for the sake of the Gospel. Give up all to go and serve Him.
And it wasn't that they didn't talk about those serving in the inner city.
And I'm sure they talked about being faithful where we are.
But somehow I would so often leave feeling like it was in the far away- foreign lands that it was really counted as being a missionary.
I didn't think I'd marry anyone that wasn't pursuing foreign missions, and even better, Haiti.
Fast forward a few years. I'm driving down the road and see a billboard advertisement for a little discount grocery outlet.  Sounded kinda like the one I was working at in a completely different area; miles away. I'll skip a bunch  of details to say the guy I met across the checkout counter that day eventually became my husband.
And he wasn't even interested in Haiti.
But he loved God. He was serving him faithfully in that little grocery store. Every customer mattered to him. He listened to many hurting and lonely hearts.
He gave tangibly to those who had needs. He loved to minister in special ways.... carrying groceries to a car, or Christmas caroling to customers ( of whom many were more like friends ) 
God was so good to give me this man. And to show me that a missionary is not a missionary, unless he is surrendered and busy  in the Father's work, right where God places him. It's not the PLACE, it's the HEART  that makes a missionary.  So how is it that we are, Lord willing, moving to Haiti in a few months?

No comments:

Post a Comment