Monday, November 18, 2019

A road less traveled...

I feel like i'm on a very unfamiliar road right now. Our whole family, really. I love schedule, nesting into a home, and routine.

We had just gotten settled, mostly nested, and a good routine going when the storm started to brew. Unrest in Haiti is not new, but it has come and gone many times. This time, it didn't go so fast.

For about 7 weeks lived in a state of immobilization. We couldn't travel freely, which ranged anywhere from not going to the city to not feeling safe to go to market several miles down the road at times.

In any case, it has been  wearing. I think in my desire to not be dramatic, I've  maybe not acknowledged the emotional wearing and the weariness it brings. "evacuation" was something I didn't want to think about. Haiti is our home, and how do you take 6 children and live in a state of limbo when there is school todo and you have no home of your own and you have no idea when you will return. How long can you live in a temporary state when you have no idea how long the temporary will last??


The riots and upheaval continued and soon started effecting the office, employees, and Andy and Jess. On Thursday, October 31st. , at noon, we got a call from the board saying they have made the decision. Its time to evacuate.

Between my mind going numb, yet feeling relieved the decision was made for us and we didn't have to battle weather we were staying to long, or leaving to soon, I immediately began preparing, packing, and organizing. Kinda ridiculous, considering we basically all only had a carry one with enough clothes for several days. Heading to Pa in Nov when you are coming out of 90* temperatures is no joke, let me tell you.

Within about 36 hours we were headed out. We were trusting God to get us across the mountains to a small , paved airport in Jacmel. We had two national employees along to help with any road block complications. This part of the trip was the "mountain" in my mind. If we could just get there, the rest felt like downhill.

God was so so good to us!! We left early, knowing that that was our first step of wisdom and doing what we could to avoid problems. The drive was beautiful as we climbed the mountain and went around many sharp curves. We saw the remainders of many roadblocks but simply went around them. Only one was impassable, armed, but not volatile, and with about 500 gds we were able to pass. The airport was a welcome, welcome sight. We had 3 trips lined up, with Andys family leaving first, and our family splitting into two. I've always wanted to see Haiti from a small plane, but not under these circumstances.

The mountains dotted with little houses and tin roofs, the trails that wind up and down and around, and river beds that run long and wide, never cease to amaze me. No wonder a trip that takes us 2 hours by truck took about 20 minutes.


Since we got into PAP to late to catch a connecting flight into Pa, we got a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. My mind was still in survival/ do the next thing mode, but we were so grateful for safe trip, and how well the children did. They've become very used to flying, and they were amazing.

I'll pick up from here in my next post. And yes, since I have better internet, a little organization to my life, I hope to make this blog a little more active.

pray for us... and let me know if you will commit to that?? I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't read this earlier, and didn't realize how much turmoil you weathered. I'm sure Grace carried you... Praying for clarity for future decisions, and peace in the now.

    ReplyDelete