Tuesday, September 15, 2015

On wanting less....

One of my favorite reads in the also months has been  Joshua Becker. Although I am not a minimilist per say, I have purged and cleaned out and downsized like never before, and I don't see myself returning to a consumer lifestyle anytime soon.
It's freeing.
It's satisfying.
It  saves a lot of money.

And what I gave been most surprised at? How through this whole journey of budgeting and minimizing, I feel myself more content.

I feel myself changing:
I can go shopping and come home with very little. What I did buy, I usually really like. I think about purchases more,  and make wiser decisions. Thus, I have less regrets, less stuff, and save money.

I don't have to have everything now.
     Buying now usually means I pay more, where if I wait I may find it second hand for less or find it wasn't the need I thought it was.

My spaces are easier to maintain and clean.
   Over and over I read about how less stuff means mess to clean around = easier house to clean. It's also much easier to maintain a clutter free house most of every day. 
A personal example at our house: several months ago the girls and I went through their dolls and accessories and toys. We eliminated a large garbage bag full of stuff.
They haven't missed it since and they seem to play with what less they have just as much. 
Less toys =happier, more creative children.
Now I haven't only read it, I know it.
For us as parents:
We used to have a big roll top desk that mainly just stored " stuff". Recently we cleaned it out , sold it , and downsized to another chest of drawers to hold some essentials.
We have more space, less stuff and less furniture. And guess what..  we haven't missed the big desk at all, and, we are more forced to put things away vs hide them under that cover.

Joshua Becker said :"
Having less is great,
wanting less is better"

I totally agree. contentment helps me to not have to keep up with someone else. It helps me enjoy what I away ready have, & helps me to be more creative.

I'm sure God isn't finished with me, but I am thankful for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment