Saturday, April 3, 2021

Blessed are the flexible......



Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape. 


Well, after this week, we should be contorchanists. Let me explain.

I went into last weekend excited about a quiet, family weekend. No plans, Dorcas was going to the mountains, and we were just going to be HOME. It was also exciting to thing about Gary, Anne and family coming on Sunday afternoon, and then Monday evening, we planned to have Rhonda come, and some Haitian friends, for supper. Tuesday Rhonda, Anne and I were planning to take a boat to a remote beach , have breakfast, and some quiet hours together before the men , Dorcas and children arrived with lunch.



Well, about Tuesday we found out one of our friends sisters died. Rhonda and Rose needed someone to take them to the funeral on Sat. Jess agreed to take them, and he left later afternoon on Friday, drove the two hours to Rhondas, and then drove 3 hours early Sat morning. When the road was no longer passable, they hiked the rest of the way. It was late Sat when they returned to Rhonda, and Jess planned to come home Sunday morning.



Before he left, however, Weston had a very freak accident. A button snapped on a string he was playing with, and it hit his eye. The longer it went, the more they realized it was a serious injury. Jess called and asked if Josh and I could change the tire on the truck so he could quickly swap from UTV to truck. (first time for everything!) They arrived and got some clothes packed and left for a hospital in Cayes. In the meantime, Gary and Anne are caught in roadblocks and demonstrations, and had to turn around. Predictions for bad roads on Monday and Tuesday took beach plans off the radar.

Upon examination, Weston was scheduled for surgery on Monday. No hope was given for his sight to return.

After a long and delicate surgery, Weston is stabilized but unable to be discharged.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpose-- having as ones intention or objective

This year, PURPOSE has been my theme. I have started writing down goals, making lists, and being intentional about what my purpose is, even in little things.
I am finding that when my purpose is bigger than my feelings, bigger than "what will people think" , bigger than my comfort zone, and written down where i can see it, I can walk valleys with confidence, tackle work that looks daunting, and carry through when the odds are against me. Purpose takes the focus off myself, and onto a greater goal.


And this is what carried me, to a large degree, this last week. I have purposed, that by Gods grace, i will make it as easy as i can for Jess to be fully present at his job. This time, it meant that instead of feeling sorry for myself that i had to be alone most of the week, i made a deliberate decision to care for the children well, count our blessings that even tho Daddy wasn't here, he wasn't gone forever. It meant remembering that mission is doing whatever is in front of us, with faithfulness, as unto the Lord. My attitude so largely effects my children's, and trust me, when you take a bad attitude x 7 it sure isn't pretty.
 
Being purposeful is grounding. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so we took one day at a time. Words of affirmation, blessing and encouraging messages flooded my phone on my birthday. Dorcas and Maritta blessed me with a little party. I felt loved and cared for.

Tuesday past, then Wednesday.

On Thursday we finally saw Jess, Weston, and Rhonda, arrive. What a happy reunion!
How blessed our children are to have a Daddy who loves and cares for them. How grateful i am to have a husband who cares for people in need, and willingly sacrifices comfort and family to do the next right  thing, willingly. He loves us well, and loves us first. 

This is mission. This doing the next thing purposefully, faithfully, for the Lord. f

We head into the weekend, laying aside any previous plans so we be together as a family.
(at least that the current plan;))



All the way my Saviour leads me,
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
who through life has been my Guide.
Heavenly peace divinest comfort,
Here by faith, in Him to dwell,
For i know what'ere befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well

No comments:

Post a Comment