Sunday, December 31, 2023

Some things I've learned in 2023

That it really is ok to slow and savor. The mad rush to do ALL. THE. THINGS.  ends in frusteration, weariness, and an unsettled feeling of discontent. We simply are not meant to do it all.


My husband and family are the most important and my first priority. Leaning into my family is something that has become very important to me. At the end of my life, they are the ones who are most affected by how i have lived and how i expended my time and energy. If they are ever asked if i loved them,  I want them to be able to say "YES" without a doubt or hesitation. 


Today may be the best day of the week, or the month, even if it is ordinary and mundane. 
Chasing after more exciting activities, or sitting in pity over what i lack, has no place in my heart. When i am thankful for what is, and what i have, I open myslef up to abundance and joy. 

Life is journey. I can be frusterated over what i need to learn, or i can remember Jesus meets me right here, and gently leads me foward, one day at a time. He is with me on the way, not just waiting for me at the finish line. 

What you feed, will grow. What you starve, will weaken. 
Reading Gods Word consistantly will give you a hunger for more. I know this to be true. 

While my phone connects me to many good things, and people, it is often  thief of my time and a cheap substitute for something better. Like a face to face connection, a walk, or thinking in quietness. 

Reading is under-rated.  Good books are a wealth of opportunity for learning and growing. And  I'm not talking e-books. I mean real, turn the pages books.  

 
Walking is therapy. For body, mind, and soul. 

Habits are created by disciplining yourself to do a hard thing over and over until it becomes a part of your life. Then, the hard part of disciplining yourself to do it fades and it becomes a more natural part of your day.  The thing that used to be hard, can even  become a non negotiable... even enjoyable. 

When one is stricken with a grief  and you receive a  blow so hard you think you won't be able to go on, you will find  you actually do keep breathing. Living. 
And if you choose ot to be so, God will not allow the horrible,terrible pain to be wasted. There will be days you see a glimmer of goodness, and a new person emerging from the pain.  I have come to see that above all, HE IS FAITHFUL, and HE IS GOOD. 

I have no  hopes that the year will be free from  pain, or suffering. I will experiece hurt from friends, misunderstanding, and unjustice. 

There will be days that feel like deserts. 

There will be uncertainties,  temptation to fear. 

But one thing i am begining to see with a surety, a clarity, and deep in my heart, is this:

Whatver comes, is for my good. 
For my growth, and for His glory. 

I can choose to let it drive me nearer to Him, 
and He will carry me through, all the way Home. 

Without Him, I have nothing. 
With Him, I have all I need. 


Happy New Year, friends. ❤️ 


2 comments: